Regarding the looming global problems, such as globalization, ageing of the population, and resource scarcity, innovation is needed to achieve economic growth and to sustain the high standard of living in Europe.
Europe 2020 strategy priorities
- Smart growth: developing an economy based on knowledge and innovation.
- Sustainable growth: promoting a more resource efficient, greener and more competitive economy.
- Inclusive growth: fostering a high-employment economy delivering social and territorial cohesion.
- Horizon 2020 is the new EU Research and Innovation programme. In addition to traditional research projects, funding is also available for innovation and pilot projects in various sectors.
- The Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) finances projects which complete the missing links in Europe's energy, transport and digital backbone.